W H O
"The W3C is committed to removing accessibility barriers for all people with disabilities - including the deaf, blind,
physically challenged, and cognitive or visually impaired. We plan to work aggressively with government industry, and
community leaders to establish and attain Web accessibility goals." -- Tim Berners-Lee, Director of the W3C and inventor of
the World Wide Web
Many people coming to your site have disabilities--whether you're aware of it or not:
- One person in five has some functional limitation
- 8% of all users on the Web have disabilities
- In U.S. more than 30 million people w/disabilities affected by computer/software design
- Worldwide 750 million people
- People w/disabilities in all trades/professions
- 25% of all people will experience some type of disability by the age of 55 (e.g., broken limb, injury, etc.
As computers proliferate, many more of these individuals will need to use computers in work and education.